Why You Should Invest in a Catio or Cat Netting
You love your cat and always want the best for them, of course. After all, they’re our feline best friends and there’s not much we wouldn’t do for our cats, and not much they wouldn’t do for us. Maybe you’re wanting to enrich your cat’s space or find a bonding activity you can both do together. As much as you may love your morning cup of coffee on your patio, your cat also loves looking outside to watch the birds and the world go by! Catios or cat netting can provide outdoor enrichment while also keeping them happy and healthy. Here’s everything you need to know about why you should invest in a catio or cat netting!
What is a Catio?
A ‘catio’ is a patio for cats that allows them to safely observe the outside world without risk of exposure to potential threats and dangers. You may have seen them on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or TikTok. While they seem to be all the recent rage on social media, catios are not a new concept. In fact, they’ve been around for a long time.
Catios allow your cat to enjoy fresh air and mental stimulation while they stay safe. Catios vary in size, price, and design. They can be as small as a private ledge outside your bedroom window or they can be as large as an outdoor chicken coop. They’re easy to clean and maintain, making them great to protect your kitty from disease, even if they’re fully vaccinated.
Some different types of catios include, but aren’t limited to:
- Window catios
- Balcony catios
- Porch catios
- Outdoor cat runs
- Portable Cat Enclosures
- Cat tunnels
- Cat fencing
Catios can also be made out of a variety of different materials, like Cat Netting, wood, screens, and metal. They can also drastically vary in price and size. Some catios can cost thousands! Though some can run expensive, you can always DIY them.
If you decide a catio is right for you and your cat, don’t forget to furnish and decorate it with some of their favorite toys and snacks!
What is Cat Netting?
Cat netting is similar to regular fencing, except it usually covers a wide area to allow a cat to wander around while also keeping it contained to the desired area. Cat netting has become very popular due to its ability to allow your cat to climb and observe while keeping them safe from outdoor dangers.
In fact, some people net their entire backyards to allow their cat free time to roam outside without worry of escaping!
Benefits of Catios and Cat Netting
Catios and cat netting have several benefits, most of which include minimizing their risk of disease and disease transmission, exposure to harsh elements and potential physical threats, and getting lost. Cats are natural explorers and love the great outdoors. They love to bask in the sun, climb, watch birds and bugs, and embrace their inner wild cat.
Here are several benefits of catios and cat netting:
- Reduces risk of getting lost or abducted. By enclosing your cat outside, you virtually eliminate their risk of getting lost or abducted. While a lot of outdoor cats easily find their way back home, enclosing them can help keep them safe. Even microchipped outdoor cats can still get lost or abducted.
- Provides outdoor enrichment and stimulation. One of the biggest factors when it comes to deciding whether your cat lives indoors or outdoors is the plethora of enrichment available outside. The best part about catios or cat netting is your cat gets all the benefits of being outside, but without the risks!
- Eliminates risk of getting injured by other animals. When your cat roams free, they have a higher risk of coming into contact with other animals that could be cat-aggressive or view them as prey.
- Eliminates risk of getting hit by a car. Perhaps one of the biggest risks of having an outdoor cat is it drastically increases their risk of getting hit by a car. By controlling their environment outside, you virtually eliminate this risk as their owner.
- Helps natural wildlife. Cats are notorious hunters, which means they will hunt smaller animals to stimulate their natural prey drives. While this is enriching for cats, it can also pose a grave threat to wildlife.
The Best of Both Worlds
With catios and cat netting, your cat gets the best of both worlds! They get to embrace their natural, inner wild cat instincts while doing it comfortably and safely. With catios and cat netting, you don’t have to worry about the multitude of risks that come with letting your cat free roam outside.
Whether you decide to invest in a catio or cat netting is dependent on your cat’s needs, but both will provide necessary mental and physical stimulation to help them lead long, full, happy, and healthy lives! Your cat gets to embrace the sights, sounds, and smells that only come with being outdoors.
They Have a Precious Aesthetic
Aside from the obvious reasons why catios and cat netting are better for your cats, they have a darling aesthetic that can spruce up any outdoor area! Whether you have too much space or are looking to maximize space, catios and cat netting can provide a sentimental touch to any area. They also allow you to entertain guests while your cat gets to come along! They prioritize socialization while giving a space a unique look.
Catios and cat netting come in a variety of different styles that can be suited to your cat’s needs while also increasing the functionality of your outdoor space. They’re fun, cute, and unique. While some people have bird baths, you can have a fully functional catio or cat safe space protected by netting!
With all the wonderful, functional, and aesthetic ways to keep your cat safe outdoors, it makes investing in a catio or cat netting a no-brainer. Not only will your cat thank you, but it will help you both create memories that will last a lifetime!